Build Page 3
October 20, 2007

The bulwark sheer is glued but
not cured yet so you see the
plastic tarp on the port side to
keep me from getting epoxy on
my shirt.  It took two shirts
before I figured that out.

I fitted the sides of the cabin to
the boat rather than measuring
and cutting to the specs in the
plans.  This avoids any
possibility of the cabin not fitting
later due to previous variances
in my measuring and ability.  
I've come across this dilemma
before.
October 21, 2007

The cabin.  You will notice
mismatched wood.  I began
with mahogany because I
planned to stain.  But Abby has
requested specific colors so I
will paint it instead.  This is
good  because I ran out of
mahogany and could only get
Douglas Fir locally on a
Sunday.  

The fronts and sides called for
grooves to simulate planking
but I did not feel comfortable
with my tools to do the job.  SO,
I will simulate planking with
pinstripes - something I am
good at - during the painting
stage.
October 21, 2007

The inside of the cabin.  For
those of you out there building
one of these, you might notice
slight differences from plans.

Below the window I glued up
mahogany to make a
continuous shelf.  This will
ultimately be the top of the
console complete with a small
compass.  

This was easier (for me) than
the plans and accomplished
what I wanted better.  This is
the beauty of building your own
boat - you get to customize.
October 21, 2007

The hull flipped so I can work on
the bottom.  The bulwark sheer
did not require much sanding.  
But I know there will be much
sanding to come when I fair the
hull.

Stay tuned.  Next week I am on
vacation so I should get a good
bit of work done.

Total time: 32 hours
October 28, 2007

I covered the bottom with 10 oz
fiberglass - mainly because I
had it left over from another
build.  BUT, the heavier the
fiberglass, the more work it
takes to fair it due to the weave
being coarser.  10 oz affords a
bit more abrasion protection for
the things I will inevitably hit in
the shallows.

The sides will have 6 oz
fiberglass that will overlap to the
bottom.  
October 30, 2007

Applying the fairing compound.  

There is an inverse relation
between the amount of time you
take to apply the fairing
compound with the time required
for sanding following the
application.   If you exercise
patience in the application, you
will spend MUCH less time
sanding.

Fortunately, previous experience
painting cars helped out here.

Total Time:  37 hours
November 1, 2007

The hull is faired and ready for
paint.  Unfortunately, I did not
check my paint when I started the
project.  

I assumed the paint left over from
my last build would still be good.
But, it was dried up in the can and
absolutely unsalvageable.

Hopefully I can get what I want
locally tomorrow.

Total Time: 41 hours
November 3, 2007

First coat of blue on the hull.  The
hull required another coat of
sanding and primer before I
could paint.

I am now at the "hurry up and wait
stage" waiting on paint to dry.

I'm thinking about building a
kayak in my down time.  Stay
tuned for that.
November 3, 2007

Cabin sanded and sanded and
sanded - then primered and
primered again.  One more
sanding tomorrow and then the
Interlux Hatterras Off-White will
applied.

Total time: 46 hours
November 5, 2007

There are no shortcuts!  
I finished the hull, took a step
back, and did not like how it
looked.  I'm not trying to build a
showboat - a 4-year old won't
know the difference.  But I don't
want to be embarrassed by my
work either.

No matter what anyone says,
rolling paint does not look as
good as spraying.  So I wet
sanded the entire boat and will
spray tomorrow.

3 unplanned hours - 49 total