Build Page 4
November 6, 2007

Now that's a well faired hull!

I liked the way it looked on the
redo.  It is smooth as glass and
super shiny.  

Moral:  Patience.

Some power tools speed things
up, some do things better.  A
hvlp sprayer does both.

2 hours - Total Time: 51 hrs
November 6, 2007

The cabin sprayed with Interlux
Brightside Polyurethane -
Hatteras Off-White.

I will trim it in Sapphire Blue (like
the hull) when I return from being
out of town for the next 10 days.

Notice the practice sprays to set
the spray pattern on the old door
in the background.  ALWAYS
practice first.

Its getting close!
November 17, 2007

I finished striping the cabin to
simulate planking and placed it
in the hull for initial fitting.  There
are very few adjustments to be
made - nothing that can't be
covered with caulk.

I spent most of the day picking up
the trailer the boat now sits on,
removing all the hardware off the
boat that came with the trailer,
and then hauling the remnants
off to the dump.

Not a lot accomplished but then
again - pinstriping is a SLOW
process.

Total Time: 55 hours

The Minn Kota Endura 50 trolling
motor arrived from the
China-Mart (Walmart) this week.  
I can remember when Walmart
only bought American...  But I
digress.  Stay tuned for the install.

Too bad we can't buy our
gasoline from China - it would be
much cheaper but probably full of
lead...
December, 1 2007

I pulled the cabin back out to fair
the inside of the hull.  

Here you see the inside primered
with one coat of Interlux Primer
and the holes cut for the hatches.

The port side exterior cap rail is
glued up and clamped and the
rub rail installed.

I had trouble with the design in
the plans.  I kept breaking my
mahogany when I began the
bend to the bow on the cap rail.  I
followed the plans exactly and I
still kept breaking.  That gets
pricey and they don't carry
mahogany at the Home Depot.

So I did it my way, like I did on Lil
Woody - glue an inner board, glue
an outer board, then epoxy one
right down the top - stay tuned.

I began the install of the inboard
trolling motor - cutting the hole in
the bottom of the hull was nerve
racking - but I think I got it right.

Total Time: 64 hours
(lots of sanding)
December 2, 2007

The interior is now painted with 2
coats of Interlux Brightside
Hatteras Off white with a non-slip
additive.  The deck is trimmed in
Sapphire Blue (same as the hull)
and will be striped when I return to
work on the boat

The inner cap rail is being glued
and clamped in the picture.

Total time:  68 hours
December 2, 2007

The 50 lb thrust trolling motor
is now installed.

1  - 11/4" by 12" galvanized
pipe threaded on both ends.  
You can buy it this way at
Home Depot.
1 - 1 1/4" flange
1 - 3/4" PVC compression
coupler
5 - 1 1/2" Stainless bolts &
nuts
1 - 2 1/2" by 1/4" Stainless
bolt and nut
1 - 2" by 6" by 3/4" piece of
mahogany.
Total time: 72 hours
The rubber seals that come with the 3/4" compression coupler fit snugly around the trolling
motor shaft and fill the gap in the 1 1/4" pipe.  The nut on the compression coupler
threads perfectly onto the galvanized pipe.  On the other end I made a steering arm out of
mahogany.  I placed a plastic washer in between the flange and the steering arm to avoid
chewing up my mahogany by having it grind against the metal flange.  I drilled a hole
through the mahogany arm and the shaft and connected the two with a stainless bolt.  You
will be able to see this better in the next picture.
December 15, 2007

The top of the engine
mount.

I also needed to make
the compartment 2"
taller than in the plans
because of the height
of my battery and the
steering arm.  A nice
added effect is that it is
more comfortable too!